Pinned toot

Episode 121 of the Jeff Reads His Book is out! Our heroes find ourselves alongside a creek, and who knows how you pronounce that word...

I received my fourth set of Koss headphones today because I can't stop buying them.

My 2016 iPhone SE just updated to the latest iOS. And I just ordered a new case for the tiny, little sweetie yesterday!

How is this phone being updated, but now even Windows doesn’t support 2016 hardware? I never thought Apple would be the pinnacle of supporting legacy products.

It makes me happy to know that one commonly banned author in that article, Toni Morrison, has a public elementary school named for her not more than 10 miles from my house.

I think the best Taylor Swift song is “I Know Places.” I’ll die on this hill…

Episode 121 of the Jeff Reads His Book is out! Our heroes find ourselves alongside a creek, and who knows how you pronounce that word...

Microsoft is now blocking Compiled HTML Help on Windows 10, the _only_ supported help system on Windows.

That's so cool.

I've started being super-excited about spam phone call offers after pressing 1, but they keep hanging up on me. Seems like bad business.

Over the last few days, I've been looking at transitioning to either modern or onto a completely new framework for a work project running in Python 2.7 on a classic version of Aspen.

I'm leaning heavily towards a rewrite in Flask. Much of the business logic and database operations should just work as is. The templates, on the other hand... Ugh...

I hate web development.

In grade school, I probably had a fluffernutter once a week or more for lunch at school, and it was not considered even remotely weird in Massachusetts.

Show thread

Fluffernutters rule, and now my wife realizes that they are a legitimate sandwich.

I started investigating updating a payment page for work today, and it has evolved into a long-overdue port of a framework to Python 3.

Chobani Sweet Cream coffee creamer might be the most delicious beverage ever. It's fine to drink straight, right?

Said application still works on Windows 2000 through Windows 11 without any compromises. Avoiding the “latest hotness” is always a smart move.

Show thread

I remember a Microsoft rep asking if I’d move my application to , and my answer was “hell no.”

I made the right choice.

The only GUI API that is mildly stable and worth a damn is the Win32 API. There, I said it.

Everything else is utter garbage.

Show thread

Also, never use any "cross-platform" open source libraries that are primarily developed on Linux.

Guess what? They only actually work on Linux...

Show thread

Hey, just a heads up: if you were thinking of developing or porting a desktop app on/to macOS, don't bother. It's an unstable (API-wise) heap of shit that breaks constantly with every tiny update that Apple pushes.

I regret ever supporting macOS.


I'm loving seeing all of these pictures of text messages where workers are standing up against their bosses. ✊✊✊


My 4.5 inch Newtonian telescope can easily resolve Jupiter's Galilean moons and some stripes. Saturn's rings are just barely visible with it, but identifiable.

Show thread

After all these years, I still need to resort to SkyGlobe for any sort of reliable amateur astronomy... I've never found a replacement.

Had a chance to spy Jupiter and Saturn through the telescope this evening! Look at those positions!

Show more
Toot @ Rainbow 100

Mastodon is a distributed social network of sorts, and this server hosts a tiny instance of it.